Saturday, June 29, 2024

Tigers, Leopards and Snakes, Oh My!

Tiger Time
This past week I had the pleasure of working with the most lovely and delightfully fun model, Nanci DoubleU (@ndu1on Instagram) again. Last year our shoot focused on beachwear and other concepts related to the beach. Even though we again shot on the shores of the Columbia River, this year I had the idea to focus our shoot on animal prints. Nanci did a wonderful job modeling the many outfits I brought to our shoot. She's a joyful model who brings a spirited vibe to every shoot. Her poses emphasize her great legs and torso, and she has a myriad of expressions that can change the mood of any shot.

Leopard on the Shore
We shot on a Tuesday and started earlier in the morning than my previous shoots on the island. The forecast promised a high of 88ºF so an earlier start meant we could beat most of the heat during our 4-hour shoot. Since the theme intended to evoke a sense of the wild, the shoot occurred in the woodlands dividing the beach from the access road.

I thought a Tuesday morning would be a better choice for avoiding the crowds that flock to the beach during the summer. Still, by the last hour of our shoot, we had lost several spots nearer to the beach to sunbathers seeking a shady area for their bodies and belongings. We moved deeper into the woods to avoid the curious looks and to avoid people in the background of our shots. For future shoots on the island, I plan to start even earlier if possible.

Expecting to shoot the full 4 hours, I chose to use the RF 24-105 f/4L lens on my Canon R5 instead of the much heavier RF 24-105 f/2.8L. I love both lenses, but for extended shoots in well-lit conditions, the f/4 lens works just fine, especially since didn't need a shallow depth-of-field for the shots I planned. That choice certainly gave my arms a break. The last time I used the f/2.8 lens for such an extended time, my arms trembled a bit toward the end.

Nanci truly gave me some great poses and expressions making the shoot a definite success. If you're a photographer and you ever get a chance to work with her, don't hesitate. I'm sure you'll be pleased no matter the concept you choose for your endeavor.

Sunning on a Log


Check out that Smile

Deeper into the Woods

Dangling Chains

Bikini Time



Butterfly Bikini

Peacock in the Sun

No comments: