Monday, June 24, 2019

Santa on Sauvie

I shot today with the very lovely Danielle Winkler, a fun and athletic model traveling through Oregon on a trip through the Pacific Northwest. We shot at Sauvie right around the Sauvie Spaceship. As we were setting up for the shoot, we were approached by an older, portly gentleman who was totally nude except for a Santa hat.  Unsurprised by the nakedness, it's a nude beach after all, the Santa hat did amuse me.  He asked if he could watch our shoot, but I declined since it was my first shoot with Danielle and I didn't know how she would feel about it.  I could have deferred to her, I suppose, but I didn't want to put her on the spot.

The man looked disappointed, but went on his way.  A short time later he approached us again and asked us a bit about the ship, and asked if we were done.  I told him a we'd be a while longer, and he grumbled a bit but went on his way.  Not too much later, we saw his walking (stumbling more like it) down the beach.  Then he came up to us again and remarked that he had "called them" and was told we couldn't reserve the site all day.  I attempted to explain to him, that we weren't reserving anything and he was free to explore the ship, but to be careful as there was glass inside the vessel.

Since it was a bit chilly for Danielle, we wrapped up our shoot sooner rather than later, and the last we saw of the gentleman, he was slowly making his way down away from us complaining that he should have made us let him in the ship earlier - leaving both Danielle and I quite puzzled with the whole encounter.  A most interesting encounter, but only one of many I've had while shooting on the island.  The strange thing though, is he wasn't from Portland at all, but visiting from North Carolina for the World Naked Bike Ride (which he kept trying to convince us to attend).  I guess you don't have to be from Portland to keep it weird.

Danielle at the Sauvie Spaceship

No comments: