Friday, July 7, 2023

Butterflies and Lace - Floofie Shoot #46


Green Lace
I received so many positive comments on my butterfly shoot with Joey, that I decided to shoot a different version with one of my other great models, Floofie. For this shoot, though, instead of driving up to Mount St. Helens, I decided to use the property of another local model and her photographer partner as the primary local.

Nicole and Corwin have a large piece of property in the city that is sometimes available for use to other photographers and models. A creek runs through the property and divides their large field from a wooded area. Near the house, there as set of wooden stairs that lead to the residence from a small greenhouse, while a copse of trees at the north end of the field makes a great background for outdoor glamour as well.

I have used both the wooded area across the creek and the creek itself for a couple of previous shoots. In fact, Floofie initially put me in contact with Nicole and Corwin and suggested their property as a shooting location. For this shoot, however, I decide to use the field for the butterfly setting and the copse and the greenhouse area for the glamour images. 

Sheer Delight
I like to shoot in the mornings or in the evenings for the better quality of light, and I also prefer areas of open shade when possible so that I get some bounced light from the surroundings without the harsh direct light from the sun. We planned our shoot to take advantage of the morning light and the open shade. If we had been shooting in the wooded area, the time of day wouldn't have mattered quite so much due to the heavy canopy filtering the light. 

We started our shoot near the copse with lace, denim, a colorful dress and a couple of other outfits, then moved to the field to shoot with the butterflies. Since I had worked with the butterflies before, the prep went much faster leaving more time to explore poses. Floofie did a wonderful job, adeptly shifting from one pose to the next without losing any butterflies.



After the butterfly shoot, we moved to the greenhouse and the staircase and wrapped up our final minutes before the sun got too high and the shadowing disappeared. The greenhouse allowed for some excellent framing, and I think the staircase made a terrific background for some delicate outfits. 



No comments: